Monday, November 7, 2016

Other Women are not my competition


So I’ve been thinking more and more over the past few years about how women can treat other women, and how unfair we are to one another sometimes. In every night out I’ve ever been on at least one negative comment is said about another woman’s looks, it’s like programmed into us, whether it stems from jealousy or pettiness its definitely relevant with women in today’s society. Thing is, is that I too was guilty of the odd jealous comment, I would see a really pretty girl and honestly think to myself “yeah but look her hair is kinda frizzy” or “that dress isn’t cute though” so I could feel better about myself and my comments were met with agreement from friends who are actually decent human beings they too (I would imagine) are just envious and give into this imaginary competition us women have with one another.

I’ve made a conscious effort to try and stop my mind from immediately going negative when experiencing jealousy and to turn whatever envy I may possess into a positive encouraging emotion, as I realize us women cannot achieve true equality if we are constantly giving into beauty standards and using them against one another. As much as I changed I began to realize more and more that others weren’t, So when I seen a specifically unique top by Pansy Path that read "other woman are not my competition I stand with them not against them" I just couldn’t agree more:

"Other women are not my competition, I stand with them not against them"

Too often I see women tearing other women down, whether it’s about beauty standards or hobbies or relationships this culture of nit-picking other women needs to end in order for us to truly gain equality. Again, it’s not particularly our fault, we are brought up criticizing women for their relationships, clothing, make up, hair and basically anything else you can think of, we are brought up reading about a women’s fashion disaster instead of her accomplishments, we are brought up assessing a women’s relationships so harshly, this particularly comes from the media and then filters into our normal lives. I think the more we are aware that we are not in a competition with another women, the more we live our lives positively and break down the gender barriers that already exist. Life is much better and much lighter celebrating other women, rather than wanting them to fail for another’s personal gain. Stop putting other women down because unless they are negatively impacting your life then why try and negatively impact theirs? Stop (for lack of a better term) “slut shaming” stop making a women feel bad because of her make up or hair etc. If someone is pretty? Tell them they are pretty! If someone is talented? Tell them they are talented, encourage other women to achieve whatever they want to achieve in life.



whats happening on insta....

© scottishxtea. Design by FCD.